Pilot Expansion is the twenty-forth episode in Season 1 of Clarence. It premiered on November 13, 2014.
Clarence, Sumo and Jeff try to recount the day they all met.
The episode begins exactly 78 and 1/2 years in the future with Jeff and Sumo fighting over how they first met at a retirement home. Sumo argues they met at a place called Rough Raiders Chicken, but Jeff tells him that they didn't and the name was Rough Riders Chicken. Clarence then stops them and assures them that he knew how they met. He then starts memorizing while the movers transport Sumo's fish tank. During Clarence's reminisce sequence, the previous events from the Pilot are flashbacked but with a musical montage of Clarence and Sumo teaching Jeff how to play with Clarence's Mystery Pinata. After the flashback, Jeff and Sumo disagree with Clarence's idea and Clarence explains that their memory banks are likely fuzzy. Clarence then stands up and goes for a jog while Larry finishes writing down everything that happened. The retirement home zooms out to show that it was on a space craft with various classmates of Clarence now elderly like the boys. The episodes ends with Clarence jogging on a treadmill doing various antics, only to be fallen off his robotic legs and trapped on the treadmill, shouting for someone to "get him off this crazy thing".
- Mrs. Bernstein
- Chelsea (flash back and elderly)
- Darlie (original design)
- Gilben (flashback and elderly)
- Blaide (elderly)
- Percy (elderly)
- Denise (mentioned)
- Dustin (prototype)
- It is very possible that the ending is just a fantasy in Clarence's head as Larry appears to be around the same age as he used to be, despite this episode taking place several years into the future.
- In Jeff's frightening daydream during "Average Jeff", Clarence and Jeff''s voices are very similar to how they are in the present. However, in this episode, their voices are much weaker and raspier, especially Clarence's.
- The following aged classmates of Clarence that are seen during this episode, including Jeff and Sumo:
- Belson (statue seen in the front of the retirement home)
- Although this episode takes in Pilot, in this episode, Jeff says he never played a pinata before even though in "Pilot", Jeff said he loves pinatas and want to do it.
- The episode was the same as the pilot. However Mrs. Bernstein is present so it is possible that Mrs. Bernstein is a sister or relative of Ms. Baker and Jason Marsden's voice from the pilot is reused. See Pilot for plot
- The ending of the episode parodies the Hanna-Barbera cartoon The Jetsons.
- The opening title music sounds similar to The Safety Dance (made by Men without Hats).
Continuity to other series
- The 2001-2012 Cartoon Network Studios logo can be seen in the title card.
- The episode concept is similar to another Cartoon Network show, Regular Show, which their pilot episode later reused as the season 3 episode and entitled as "First Day".
- All the boys (as old men) in the fantasy have robotic artificial legs, a reference to Jeff's frightening daydream in "Average Jeff."